Saturday, August 1, 2009

Beware the Yellow Jacket!







Pesky little critters...I didn't see them til I ran over them with the riding mower...all I could think about was the 80 year old man I read about that did the same thing and was instantly swarmed and killed! Read Here

These creatures had dug a nest right next to my house a couple years ago and a little trip to the DIY Pest Control place set me up with the fix to get rid of them. And now, a new colony had moved into the old 3/4 inch hole in the ground. There was also a new second nest nearby right next to the water spigot.

I've heard of guys pouring gasoline down the hole at night, but I was a little worried about blowing up my house with the nest literally 6 feet from the nest. Plus, I'm not sure how deep and wide their nest goes, and I could see me throwing a match at it, just for fun, only to create a crater where the yard used to be!


So, being the calm, collected guy I try to portray. I did what any manly man would do - don the Ninja Suit! Armed with some kind of bee poison I can't pronounce, I commenced to attack! Now, the guy told me to approach the nest hole at night and stick the nozzle in the hole and squeeze for as long as I dare.
I approach the 1st hole, faithful wife holding the light directly on the hole; "Not right on the hole!!" , I scream, "Are you trying to wake them up??!!" (Kim rolls eyes) Now with light slightly off hole, I position the bottle and squeeze - with all my might - Nothing comes out. "Don't freak out, don't freak out", I think.
After cutting the nozzle a little bigger I reapproach the hole and this time success! The precious poison flows like a champ. I repeat the performance on the second hole, thus saving the world from another tragic yellow jacket headline.
Dealing with yellow jackets can be hazardous, but even more hazardous would be to not deal with them. Believe me, I learned a couple years ago that they do not go away on their own. Funny how life is like that, whether an insect infestation or something in my life that I don't want to deal with. As good ol' Barney Fife used to say, "We need to Nip it in the Bud".
Are we ignoring anything that God has brought to mind that needs attention? A relationship, health issue, ministry idea, challenges? Deal with it now before you wish you had and reap the blessing of knowing it's overcome! It's a great feeling knowing I and my family can walk out in the yard without trouble rearing it's ugly head (or stinger!) It's also a great feeling when I deal with issues in my life sooner rather than later. Better the savor of success, than the sting of regret!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciated!