Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Life's Obstacles and Prayer

I've been blown away by seeing answers to prayer in the new relationships I've formed through Facebook and Twitter. I've seen people healed, sickness diverted, marriage restored, and financial crisis averted. It's been so cool to be a part of seeing God move in response to our prayer.

Life is full of obstacles, even in this Good Life. How do we deal with them. I have a secret. Not really, just something that I've often neglected but am experiencing more. Prayer. When life throws me a curve, I reach out to God and also to others I know who faithfully remember me in prayer. It makes a major difference when you connect with the One who knows your situation inside and out. God is just waiting for us to bring it to Him. We often see these curveballs as obstacles to try and overcome on our own when God maybe is allowing them - to see what we will do with it.


It all comes back to Relationship. Jesus is not some nice little way of life for a kind of "Hey, whatever works for you" approach to life. He is our Redeemer, that means: He made this universe, He made us, He holds creation by the word of His power, He wants us back, He paid the price to buy us back that we can NEVER pay ourselves. Take that in, He WANTS us. He WANTS a real relationship with us. He WANTS what's best for us. He WANTS us to know how much He loves us.

How many religions out there do you know in which the founding person desires to have a real and personal relationship with us? Lots want us to find ourselves and offer many great suggestions to find happiness but only Jesus personally invites us to know Him and spend eternity with Him. This relationship begins through the communication of Prayer. Real prayer is not elaborate, it is a simple call to God through faith saying, "Jesus, I can't make it on my own, I need You! Let me be Yours". Or for life's circumstances, "Jesus, I don't know what to do, please give me wisdom, please intervene, and let me learn what You want me to learn through this"

15 years ago when Kim and I lost Valerie at 3 1/2 weeks after delivery, we had no where to go and no one to cling to but Jesus. Only Jesus could have done what we experienced. The arms of God were wrapped around us in a way beyond explanation. His presence was as real to us as the grass beneath our feet and the hug of our little boy who had come to love his little sister.

Prayer brings us to the ultimate reality. That God is here and as close as calling His name. That he waits for that conversation as much as you look forward to going out and being with your friends.

What are we waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciated!